[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu/Linux is still not an OS for the masses - discuss

Roy Jamison xteejyx at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 13 11:38:32 BST 2010

This is precisely why we have Launchpad, both the bug tracker and the
answers tracker.
The Ubuntu documentation (both in the OS and online) has workarounds,
known issues, and failing that can point you to an IRC channel #ubuntu -
people there are usually very helpful.
I totally understand though, as when things like that happen it really
p*?ses me off too, but there is always a solution.
OEMs will always make sure their hardware is supported in whatever is
preinstalled i.e. Dell, but you must remember that not all manufacturers
support linux.
There will always be problems, it's a known fact that Microsoft are
still producing bloated s@*t after 30 years. You could argue that it
always installs fine and works, but what then? Antivirus? Anti-spyware?
Anti-malware? Firewall? Defrag? The problems don't stop there...
Ubuntu is about 4-5 years old and nearly at the "Windows point" with
support and usability, but unless manufacturers support linux fully,
sadly there will always be some shortcomings.