[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu 10.10 VirtualBox problems

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Tue Oct 12 22:34:04 BST 2010

I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 10.10 and installed it in VirtualBox
3.2.8 (running on Ubuntu 9.04 host). It's the 64-bit version.

It installed okay. Then I decided to install the Guest Additions, as
Ubuntu always has a problem as a virtual machine with the screen size,
always it is limited to 800 x 600 (in every version of Ubuntu I have run
as a virtual machine).

One of things in the Guest Additions failed, something to do with the X
Window System being an unknown version.
See the screenshot at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingdavid/5076581376/sizes/l/in/photostream/
But everything else was okay. I rebooted, but still the desktop size was
limited to 800 x 600.

Then I did some updates as the Update Manager wanted to update things.

Then things got ugly, and the image at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingdavid/5076551850/
shows how bizarre the screen display went.

The virtual machine has 128 MB Video RAM and 1536 MB RAM.

So I rebooted the virtual machine and tried installing the Guest
Additions again, but it still says that it has an unknown version of the
X Windows System.

So it looks like Ubuntu 10.10 is currently incompatible with VirtualBox?
If so, it's real shame, as I test all distros in VirtualBox before
considering them for installation.

I will not be considering upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10 until this can be
resolved.

David King