[ubuntu-uk] Sound effects ....

Steve Fisher xirconuk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 10:45:08 BST 2010

On 6 October 2010 09:26, Barry Drake <bdrake at crosswire.org> wrote:

> Thanks for all the suggestions on this thread.
>
> On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 21:58 +0100, Byte Soup wrote:
>
> > Im assuming the delay was due to some lead in silence on the track?
>
> No.  The CD player that the guy was using insisted on setting itself to
> track 1.  It then took four seconds to seek to the required track and
> produce sound.  There's no way I'm going to be using a CD player!  I
> will be playing MP3's straight from my laptop.  I'm going to try out the
> various suggested apps and see which suits best.
>
> --
> Sent from my Dell Netbook using Ubuntu - the window-free environment
> that gives me real fresh air.

Very simple solution, install music123 from repo and set up a hotkey in
Gnome.  Just tested with a gunshot sound from
http://www.freesound.org/forum/index.php?sid=881d1a01c51c2a1f428561754762892b

and set to ctrl+F1.

I renamed the file gg.wav and set the hotkey to "music123
/home/steve/Downloads/gg.wav" without the quotes, there appears to be no
latency!

Steve