[ubuntu-uk] Diagnostics tools

Andy Partington andy.partington at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 08:58:37 BST 2010

On 6 October 2010 07:46, javadayaz <javadayaz at gmail.com> wrote:

> ok will do...although i did run one before ( after all these problems
> occurred, after i reapplied the thermal coating) but then quit after 70%
> ...but i will run it again!
>

> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 7:44 AM, Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 06/10/10 06:58, javadayaz wrote:
>> > Just an update to all this..when I run livecd...it will let me choose an
>> > option...but then the cd loads and the pc shuts down..and restarts!
>>
>> Okay I wonder if it's a hardware problem that has developed due to the
>> excess heat.  Try booting up the CD and when you get to the boot menu
>> select the option to test memory (it might say Memtest).
>>
>> Run this for a few hours (at least) and let us know if you get any
>> errors, crashes or reboots.
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> --
>> ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com

To run a proper memtest you want to run it for 6-8 hours minimum, this will
give your PC a good work over at the same time.

My niece had a similar issue as you with CPU overheating on her laptop, I
could run live cds and leave it in the bios for ages but running Windows
after about 10 minutes it would shut down so doing something
fairly strenuous would be a good test.

Andy