[ubuntu-uk] unable to install 10.04.1

Barry Titterton barry.titterton at mail.adsl4less.com
Sat Oct 2 20:08:08 BST 2010

On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 16:17 +0100, Norman Silverstone wrote:
> I have just finished trying to install 10.04.1 onto an old desktop
> computer belonging to a friend of mine and failed to do so. The
> installation started OK and then the red and white dots froze and the
> Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights on the keyboard kept flashing on and
> off. I am confident that the CD is OK because it has worked on another
> of my machines. Not wanting to let my friend go away Ubuntu less I
> installed 9.10 with no problems.
>
> I wonder why 10.04.1 would not install?
>
> Norman

10.04 does appear to have significant stability issues on some machines,
please see this (very long) thread on the forum:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1478787&page=110

The freezes can happen during installation or at any time during normal
operation. Some users have found turning off the ACPI power management
function, either in the BIOS or using boot options, helps, but this
action may give you other problems such as the shut down command not
working properly. The instability problems go away if you revert to an
earlier version of the kernel, i.e. pre 2.6.32, as you have already
found by using 9.10.

Barry