[ubuntu-uk] Diagnostics tools

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Sat Oct 2 09:18:43 BST 2010

On 01/10/10 22:44, Josh Holland wrote:
> If you suspect it's overheating, you could install the computertemp
> package and add the CPU temperature applet to your panel. Otherwise, the
> only other thing I can think of worth checking is Palimpsest (aka Disk
> Utility from System ->  Administration).
>
> There might be something in dmesg, but I'm inclined to agree that it's
> probably a cooling issue, in which case blowing dust out is the best
> plan.

Might also be worth checking the BIOS after the machine shuts down, that
might give you some temperatures, and some BIOSes have warning alarms
when a certain temperature is reached which might help?

I'd also suggest maybe running a memtest.  You can find memtest on the
Ubuntu CD, boot from the CD and select the option Test memory (or
something like that).  Of course this might not explain why it's
suddenly turning off but you can diagnose if there are any memory errors
(if it's dusty inside and overheating then long term it could cause
components to fail).

If you clean the insides of your PC out I'd suggest getting a can of
compressed air (and maybe take it outside to blow out), it could also be
worth replacing the heatsink compound on the heatsink/CPU if you're
confident enough taking your PC apart that much.  I find nail varnish
remover works great for removing heatsink compound and maybe use a bit
of Brasso to clean off the heatsink, or get some heatsink cleaning fluid
(you should be able to get some online or from your local PC World).

Good luck.

Rob