[ubuntu-uk] Dual Monitor set up NVIDIA Twinview

Graham Smith myotistwo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 10:28:36 GMT 2010

Following on from my new monitor thread, I ended up with a Viewsonic VG2227WM
22" Monitor. I know this wasn't mentioned in that thread, but for various
reasons that is what I ended up with.  And, as suggested, I also replaced my
Matrox card (new graphics card is an ASUS geforce EN210 Silent)

The Viewsonic is now my primary monitor (working well ) and I am trying to
use a Belinia monitor as a second screen.

Ubuntu (10.10) seems to disable this second screen by default, as it stays
dead on boot up, and  is listed in the NVIDIA settings GUI as "disabled" .

I have enabled the Belinia, it was already set up as sitting on the left of
the Viewsonic, checked TWINVIEW, and ticked the box on the Viewsonic tab
that makes the Viewsonic the  "Primary display for the X-screen) BUT as soon
as I enable the Belinia, the dock jumps across to the Belinia and dialog
boxes open by default on the  Belinia.

There is an option in this NVIDIA set up GUI to save X to configuration
file, which I assume I need to save to make the monitor set up permanent.
 But of course at the moment the second screen is acting as if it was the
primary screen.

Will this sort wrong primary display problem sort itself out if I save the X
configuration and reboot, or is there something else I should be doing.

Many thanks,

Graham