[ubuntu-uk] Gronk, gronk, gronk

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Nov 26 09:10:48 GMT 2010

On 26 November 2010 09:04, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berkeley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Every time I start my laptop, it goes "gronk... gronk, gronk, gronk...
> gronk, gronk, gronk," and flashes the light on the CD drive a few times.

Does it make the noise if you leave the CD-ROM tray ejected?

> Is
> the gronking noise coming from the CD drive, or the hard drive?

You're probably best placed to answer that question rather than anyone
on the list :)

> If the
> latter, does this mean that the default installation from the Live CD
> actually deposits the operating system in various different places on
> the hard drive, so that the drive head has to gronk backwards and
> forwards to find it all?

Ubuntu doesn't directly control where physically on the disk the files
go. Typically after a live CD install you'll find the vast majority of
files near the start of the disk.

That will change over time though as files are added, packages get
updated and so on.

However if a disk is making a loud noise it might be time to backup
the data and consider a new disk.

Al.