[ubuntu-uk] Gronk, gronk, gronk

Rowan Berkeley rowan.berkeley at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 09:04:09 GMT 2010

Hi,

Every time I start my laptop, it goes "gronk... gronk, gronk, gronk...
gronk, gronk, gronk," and flashes the light on the CD drive a few times.
I thought this might be because I had set it to attempt to load from CD
first in the BIOS boot order, when I installed 10.04 from Live CD, so I
changed it back to load from hard drive first, but it still does it. Is
the gronking noise coming from the CD drive, or the hard drive? If the
latter, does this mean that the default installation from the Live CD
actually deposits the operating system in various different places on
the hard drive, so that the drive head has to gronk backwards and
forwards to find it all?

Rowan