[ubuntu-uk] Loosy splah screen after update to 10.10

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 00:19:46 GMT 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 10:36 PM, Pallottini Aymeric
<paillomams at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have got an Acer Revo, that I have updated from ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10.
> After the update the splash screen is not the usual graphic one, it is a
> simple bit of text displaying "ubuntu 10.10 and some dots, with even some of
> the events of the boot process being displayed. The same when shutting down
> the machine.
>
> Is somebody experiencing this also? Can I get back the nice splash screen?

I had related problems - the graphics on the Plymouth graphical loader
screen were corrupted. Also my Thinkpad would not wake from sleep or
hibernation. The instructions I posted elsewhere might be helpful for
you... My issues weren't exactly the same, but similar.

To resolve the sleep issue, I added "nomodeset" to the kernel
parameters. This enabled the machine to suspend and resume correctly,
including hibernation. Unlike 10.04, in 10.10 the X server starts
normally in 1024×768/16M colours and the machine is perfectly usable.

I amended the following line by adding "nomodeset" to the end in
/etc/default/grub:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

I then ran update-grub to enable the change.

However, the nomodeset line means that the plymouth graphical loading
screen no longer works. It is replaced with a text-based one.

In the hope of at least running in the native resolution of the LCD
and getting a smoother text loading screen, I added a vga mode
parameter to the same line, as follows:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset vga=792"

This not only worked and reset the console resolution to 1024×768, but
it also re-enabled the graphical loading screen, which furthermore now
appeared with the correct colour palette, removing the coloured
fringes that had affected the default install.

I then dropped the X screen from 16M colours to 65K colours, which
gives a sharp increase in display performance & enables me to use
dual-head with an external monitor running at 1280×1024.

I have documented how I did this in a blog post here:
http://liam-on-linux.livejournal.com/20637.html

I then amended the GRUB line so that the bootup screen mode was the
same as the X one:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset vga=791"

The result is that everything now works: graphical startup & shutdown,
suspend & resume, hibernation, and a fast X display which supports
dual-head operation.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com