[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Version Downgrading

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sun Nov 14 00:04:53 GMT 2010

On 13 November 2010 22:42,  <bodsda at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'm gonna have to run through the installer again then, because I don't remember seeing it automatically ask me about /home,

It doesn't ask you about /home at all. It's a kinda hidden feature.

> and if you were doing it manually and didn't specify a mount point for /home and didn't format / then would anything actually happen?

If you were doing manual partitioning over the top of an existing
linux install (i.e. a filesystem exists which contains /bin /etc /var
/usr /home and so on, and you choose not to format that filesystem,
and you choose to install on it, then it will recursively delete all
files in /bin /etc /var /usr and so on, but _not_ touch /home within
that filesystem.

I find myself explaining this to people about once a month. It's such
a hidden gem of a feature so many people don't know about it, but it's
the single most useful "upgrade without upgrading" feature.

Al.