[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Version Downgrading

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sat Nov 13 19:38:33 GMT 2010

On 13 November 2010 19:32,  <bodsda at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Config files shouldn't be an issue. Any half-decent program will sanity check its config files and recreate them if the current ones are incompatible/corrupt.

Define half-decent. On upgrading from one release to another many
popular programs which we ship _by_ _default_ will irreversibly modify
their config. Yes, deleting the config is one way out, but that's not
ideal.

> Is the not formatting /home a new feature? If its not set up as a seperate partition, then it is just mounted under /    which gets formatted on install

No, it's been around for a good few releases now. I've been whittering
on about this feature for ages, but people clearly still don't know
about it.

Al.