[ubuntu-uk] Special bugs, and Live CDs. Help with this Bug please?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 11:33:43 GMT 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> On 12 November 2010 09:57, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, but *what* particular sequence? Nobody has yet spelled it out,
>> AFAICS. I'd like to know so I can avoid it!
>>

> It's detailed in the bug report linked to in the first mail.

OK, read that now, but I don't see what the specific unusual event
here was meant to be. The only thing that sounds odd in there are the
"3 unlisted hidden partitions". MBR only allows for a total of 4
primary partitions, and 3 were listed there - Dell recovery, Windows &
the extended one. Adding >1 new ones would cause problems.

I am not following what is meant to have gone wrong. When one chooses
"use entire partition", what do people /expect/ to happen if no
specific partition is chosen? Is the setup program meant to be smart
enough to automatically use the Linux FS and not the Windows one? That
seems to me to be a terrifying assumption to make before installing an
OS. I'd not be surprised if it chose the first.

The only situations I'd consider safe to proceed would be:

[a] I'd freed up some unpartitioned space and wanted it to use that,

or

[b] I only had 1 partition and told it to resize this, on the basis
that there was nothing else to resize.

Personally, this is why I always, *always* do it manually in expert
mode. I would not trust any program to decide intelligently in such a
critical situation.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com