[ubuntu-uk] e-books without Adobe Digital Editions

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 22:46:14 GMT 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 12:54 +0000, pmgazz wrote:
> Open standard epub format works great on Ubuntu:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB
>
> I use FBReader as a client - works fine both on my Ubuntu laptop and
> my N900, reads epubs, txt and html books. It's a bit basic but
> perfectly useable.

I have no problem reading any format. The Sony reader supports the most
common formats and what it doesn't support, Calibre does and is able to
convert to and from those formats.

> In addition to Gutenberg, which is publishing some of its catalogue in
> epub format, find some public domain epub format books here:
> http://www.epubbooks.com/ - I gather Google is in the process of
> publishing everything it has that's public domain in epub version but
> not available yet: http://tinyurl.com/create.php

Thanks for the epubbooks link, I shall definitely have a browse! Not
sure about your tinyurl though :-)

> Otherwise, publishers with existing copyright insist on using DRM -
> nothing (legally) to be done about that as far as I can tell.

I know that nothing can really be done, I was just wondering if there
was at least on of them that didn't use DRM, apart from Baen.

Cheers,

Bruno