[ubuntu-uk] e-books without Adobe Digital Editions

pmgazz pmgazz at gmx.co.uk
Mon Nov 8 12:54:02 GMT 2010

Open standard epub format works great on Ubuntu:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB

I use FBReader as a client - works fine both on my Ubuntu laptop and my
N900, reads epubs, txt and html books. It's a bit basic but perfectly
useable.

In addition to Gutenberg, which is publishing some of its catalogue in
epub format, find some public domain epub format books here:
http://www.epubbooks.com/ - I gather Google is in the process of
publishing everything it has that's public domain in epub version but
not available yet: http://tinyurl.com/create.php

Otherwise, publishers with existing copyright insist on using DRM -
nothing (legally) to be done about that as far as I can tell.

Paula