[ubuntu-uk] Cheese on netbook

Barry Drake bdrake at crosswire.org
Fri Nov 5 20:59:05 GMT 2010

Hi there ....

Cheese is an app I never use except to give it a test.  The other day I
was showing my Dell Mini 10v to a friend, and Cheese said that it
couldn't find the camera (built into the netbook).  I re-installed
Cheese, and also gstreamer.  I then rebooted and still Cheese says 'no
device found'.  dmesg and lshw don't show anything that looks like a
webcam (to me) but I'm not really sure what I should be seeing.  The
thing is, the netbook is still under warranty, and I want to find out as
much as I can before I tell Dell there is a faulty camera.  To send it
back to Dell, I will have to back up my system and restore the version
of the software that Dell supplied as it came with 8.04 and I'm running
10.04.  Obviously if I do that and it doesn't work, the fault will be in
the hardware, but if there's an easier way to test for a hardware fault
I want to do that first!!!

Regards,		Barry Drake.
--
Sent from my Dell Netbook using Ubuntu - the window-free environment
that gives me real fresh air.