[ubuntu-uk] Video and DVD creation ....

John Stevenson john at jr0cket.com
Wed Nov 3 13:09:34 GMT 2010

On 3 November 2010 12:28, Barry Drake <bdrake at crosswire.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 11:28 +0000, John Stevenson wrote:
> >
> > I have been using PiTiVi recently, after a great course run at
> > Fossbox.  We used an MP4 container with a DivX codec.  Output of this
> > was great and was relatively quick to render and is accepted by Vimeo
> > and YouTube.  I really liked the editing options in PiViTi and found
> > it very easy to use.  We were using Ubuntu 10.10.
>
> That's interesting.  I really like PiTiVi - it's a lovely front end.  If
> my render problem is caused by a particular codec, I'll do something
> about it!  I have an mp4mux container available, but not the DivX codec
> you mention.  Any advice on where to get this and how to make it show up
> in the PiTiVi codec list?
>
> Regards,                Barry Drake

Hello Barry,
Easiest way to add a range of codecs is to add the (meta) package
ubuntu-restricted-extras although that installs a lot of packages, some of
which you may not want added.

For the divx support, I usually use the package libxvidcore4 - xvid is the
open source divx codec.  This is great for online videos and for video
libraries.  I have seen some good high definition videos using the Matroska
container which in PiTiVi gives you a large number of codecs to choose
from.  The Matroska [matroskamux] container may be a good alternative to the
mp4mux if you want more codec choice.

Not sure what the best codec would be for creating a DVD as I never use that
format.  I am assuming you would use the ffmux_dvd container - there are
only a few options for video and audio codec when I select this container.

Thanks
--
John Stevenson
Lean Agile Consultant / Coach