[ubuntu-uk] Using Gparted

Rowan Berkeley rowan.berkeley at googlemail.com
Tue May 25 16:11:49 BST 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 15:50 +0100, Daniel Drummond
<dmdrummondx at gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually Rowan, ask all the questions you want.  You are learning
> here. The livecd offers no benefits to the process, in fact using an
> up to date system, rather than an out-of-date livecd may be a better
> idea, if purely for any bugfixes that may be present in the up to date
> system. Just back up your data before you do it.  Worst case scenario
> then is a reinstall, which with Ubuntu takes about 20 mins, during
> which you can choose your partitions to be laid out exactly how you
> want.  Then of course you have to configure the system, but if you
> have backed up your home directory (which will store much of the
> configuration), then it's just installing programs and updates. Daniel

Thank you Daniel :-) In fact, I ought to make myself an up to date Live
CD, anyway. By 'up to date' I suppose I mean 10.4 LTS, though I am still
running 9.10. I have wanted to know for ages, though: when you download
the whole thing from the Ubuntu site and burn it to disk, is what you
are getting the entire 'Live CD', including the ability to run the thing
from the disk and check it out before installing it (or, as we are
discussing, use it as a maintenance platform)? Or does 'Live CD' refer
to some special compilation over and above what you get in the
download?