[ubuntu-uk] Is the demise of Becta an opportunity for FOSS?

Joe Metcalfe joe.metcalfe at tiscali.co.uk
Tue May 25 10:23:58 BST 2010

I worked as an ICT teacher last year and we mostly taught based on MS Office
- it seemed that this was mostly driven by the Head of Department. I was
allowed to teach Python to Year 9 for a term though. At GCSE level we mainly
taught OCR Nationals, which required all work or evidence to printed out; at
A level work was required to be submitted in open formats so Office
documents were mostly converted to PDF. In the absence of a VLE from the
local authority the ICT department implemented one in Moodle but it looked
like this would be overtaken eventually.

I think that the most important aspect is to teach using FOSS tools, partly
for the future but also so that students/parents who want compatible
software at home aren't forced to pay out £100's or 'pirate'.

Joe