[ubuntu-uk] Is the demise of Becta an opportunity for FOSS?

Colin McCarthy binarysignal at gmail.com
Tue May 25 07:44:55 BST 2010

Smart Technologys the makers of 'SmartBoards' one of the two popular interactive whiteboards already do a linux client. Its almost exactly the same as the windows version and works perfectly. I have used to many times at our LUG meeting which occasionally meets in a school.

Capita recently bought Ramesys (a large education IT provider) so there is little chance of BFS, Building Schools for the Future, schools to have any local control and choose Open Source software.

FOSS does stand a chance in private or indepenent schools.

Mark Thomas and SiruisIT do a lots of FOSS stuff in schools.  Maybe they could be on the Ubuntu UK podcast to talk about it.

Colin

Sent from my Nokia E71 phone