[ubuntu-uk] Is the demise of Becta an opportunity for FOSS?

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Mon May 24 22:23:53 BST 2010

Bruno Girin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just a thought I wanted to put to the list. Considering today's news [1]
> and in particular the demise of Becta, the government's technology
> agency for schools, is there an opportunity for FOSS to replace some or
> all of what Becta used to provide?
>
> I have no idea what sort of software a school needs but I suspect
> something like:
>       * Office software;
>       * Some sort of basic ERP;
>       * Basic document management;
>       * Course management software;
>       * Central user management with mass updates once a year when
>         pupils change.
>
> Between all of us, would we be able to produce a blueprint of how to
> deliver such a system using open source software? And would such a
> blueprint be useful to those of us who run businesses or are involved in
> their local communities in order to help push FOSS into schools?
>
> [1] http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8699522.stm
>
> Bruno

Not sure how helpful I can be here

1. schools use something called SIMS schools info management system,
this for handling pupil data and sending to the LEA,  the system is
expensive adn propriatory but every school seems to have it,  therefore
data sent to the LEA is in this format.  not sure how we replace that.

ok office software is great,  I guess not sure if key stage 1 still use
some simple word processing software (dunno the name of it sorry), or
moved in to using MS office

clearly office can be replaced with open office.
there are programs aimed at SEN (special educational needs children)
which may be the hardest thing to find alternatives too on Linux systems.

a lot of software seems to be flash based, as in its on a website that
the children can use,  if its written properly I guess it will be cross
browser / platform, sadly a lot may not be and be IE only or rely on
bits that are not available on Linux.

Schools have interactive white boards, will Linux work with these

programming - logo can handle this,  however for the able / talented,
linux / oss systems could provide something a little more challenging.
(python or similar)

The ingots would probably solve a lot of the curriculum issues as the
corse work is  already written, the structure is already in place.

if schools are to be given more freedom, then this is potentially the
best option

other software is used for

data logging
storing and displaying data in a variety of forms,

this software would say tie maths with science

some schools also use mind mapping software, which there are free
versions available.

course management, perhaps this can be something like a virtual learning
environment (moodle) so students can log in from homw and download work
sheets etc that they may have missed / left at school,  does reply on
student being motivated i guess. esp if its left at school to get out of
doing the homework.

Abi word / gobby allow collaboration,  again this would be useful for
students to be able to collaborate on say a newsletter,  but i think a
lot more apps should have this integrated in,  etc

I am sure it is possible,  I thijk more use of software like moodle may
be useful,  plus data being presented on the web, should really follow
open standards, not something that MS word calls a web site,  even
openoffice doesn't really produce w3c quality output,  if you are
teaching web design teach it properly so bad habits don't poison future
developments.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton - www.zleap.net
DCGLUG MEETINGS
Next Paignton Lug meet : 3pm Saturday June 5th - Shoreline
Next Holsworthly meet : 2pm Saturday June 19th - White Hart