[ubuntu-uk] Using Gparted

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Sat May 22 20:20:53 BST 2010

On 21 May 2010 11:23, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berkeley at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 20 May 2010 14:53, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> On 20 May 2010 14:30, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berkeley at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>> > I've sorted it out, by running 'sudo nautilus', navigating to the
>> > disk, and changing the permissions to include myself.
>> Personally I wouldn't do that. I expect a further mail from you in 6
>> months when something else breaks as a result of running nautilus as
>> root :( Cheers, Al.
> I take it your meaning is that I should have used 'gksudo nautilus', not
> 'sudo nautilus'. I seem to have got away with it this time; I can still
> log in normally and navigate around normally as rowan.

Without wanting to put words in Popey's mouth, I think he was actually
meaning that it's easy to break something vital on your system when
running nautilus as root. I certainly wouldn't make a habit of it!

The breakage you get with using sudo instead of gksudo or gksu, you
see it immediately. If there's no terminal, the attempt to prompt for
the password locks things up.

Cofion/Regards,
Neil.