[ubuntu-uk] What to do if external hard drive isn't unmounted properly?

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Thu May 20 09:30:00 BST 2010

On 18 May 2010 18:11, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 18 May 2010 15:41, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Easy. Using Gparted, shrink the NTFS partition to half the drive. (Say).
>>>
>>> Make a new extended partition. In there make a logical drive. Format it ext3.

It doesn't actually need to be a logical drive in an extended
partition (although it won't hurt).

You can have up to 4 primary partitions on a drive. If you're
intending to delete the primary NTFS partition after moving the files,
it'll look a little odd to end up with just one extended partition
with a logical partition inside it.

Just my opinion.

>>> Mount both.
>>>
>>> Move all the stuff from the NTFS partition to the ext3 partition.
>>>
>>> When the NTFS partition is empty, unmount both. Use Gparted to remove
>>> the NTFS partition. Expand the ext3 partition to fill the drive.
>>
>> Don't forget to back it up first.

Good advice from Colin. I have occasionally risked repartitioning
without a backup, but only when I don't care too much about what's on
the drive I'm repartitioning.

Cofion/Regards,
Neil.