[ubuntu-uk] Slow Log In since upgrade

John Stevenson john at jr0cket.com
Wed May 19 16:53:20 BST 2010

On 19 May 2010 16:06, Philip Stubbs <philip at stuphi.co.uk> wrote:

> Since upgrading to the latest version of Ubuntu, I have been getting a
> prolonged pause from entering my password to the desktop displaying.
> The GDM window disappears, and all I see is the background and my
> pointer. Some time later, say 15 seconds, the desktop comes up.
>
> How can I find out what is going on during that pause so that I can fix it?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Philip Stubbs

 The quickest thing you can try is using the command line:

dmesg | less

Then press the End key to go to the bottom of the file and scroll up using
the arrow keys.

If you want a graphical tool, use the *System* > *Log File Viewer*.  There
will be a number of log files you can look at, but try dmesg first, then
maybe syslog, Xorg.0.log.

Perhaps others have some additional suggestions on which log file is best?

Thanks.
--
John Stevenson
jr0cket.com