[ubuntu-uk] Re : Re : Running From USB

Tony Travis a.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Wed May 19 14:05:31 BST 2010

On 19/05/10 13:36, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 19 May 2010 13:21, Pallottini Aymeric<paillomams at yahoo.com>  wrote:
>> Your solution seems a lot better than what I am doing as you have a full
>> install that you can update easily. I was just worried about the ability to
>> boot on different systems but you answered that.
>>

> It works for me. I have plugged it into all manner of computers and it
> generally just works fine as like a local install. It can feel slow if
> there's a lot of IO going on but then it's not the fastest USB stick
> in the world, and well, it is a USB stick after all :)
>[...]

Hello, Alan.

I've been plugging a 'persistent' live USB stick into lots of different
computers too and one problem I've encountered is that "udev" creates a
new 'eth' device and remembers it for every NIC it encounters. You can
avoid this behaviour by zapping the redundant entries in:

   /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Bye,

   Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK