[ubuntu-uk] O2 Joggler: deal

Tim Powys-Lybbe tim at southfarm.plus.com
Wed May 19 12:41:30 BST 2010

On 14 May at 8:27, David <david.lutton at gmail.com> wrote:

> The O2 Joggler is back onto its deal.
>
> "Was £99.99. Now £49.99 until the end of May"
> http://shop.o2.co.uk/joggler
>
> Some ideas of how it could be used :
> http://jogglerwiki.info/index.php?title=Main_Page With or without
> Ubuntu.

Thanks and I found one in Windsor yesterday.  Neither of the Slough
shops had any left.

I've tried to get Ubuntu working but failed.  Joggler fires up, the USB
stick lights for a minute or so then goes out and eventually Joggler
boots normally.

Initially I had the USB stick plugged into a hub with a keyboard but I
have now plugged the stick direct into Joggler to eliminate a few
variables.  No change, though.

The failure could either be that (a) I have blown the USB stick wrong or
(b) that something is up with Joggler:

(a) I plugged the USB stick into my normal Ubuntu machine, a Fusion
partition on a mac Pro, and was able to read what was on the stick OK.
I do not know how to add up the sizes of all the files on the stick to
compare with the size of the impressed image file.  I had used Windows
and the DiskImager program to blow the stick (see
http://www.stephenford.org/joggler/ )  Perhaps getting another USB stick
is next?

(b) When I first turned Joggler on it was obviously downloading all
sorts of updates.  I wonder if O2 have managed to include something to
stop us booting direct into Ubuntu?  (But they must have done this in
the last 24 hours as a chap who had bought one on Monday had had no
problem, ditto for one bought last Saturday.)

I know there are a few web sites to discuss Joggler but I find web sites
cumbersome and much prefer mailing lists.  Is there a Joggler-Ubuntu
mailing list anywhere?  Or is it OK to continue here?

Tim Powys-Lybbe                                           tim at powys.org
             for a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/