[ubuntu-uk] Re : Running From USB

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed May 19 11:00:35 BST 2010

On 19 May 2010 10:41, Pallottini Aymeric <paillomams at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Creating a live USB with the installer, can you still boot on computers with
> different video cards than the system you used for the install?

There's two things to note here. The short answer is "yes".

However you don't "install" onto a USB stick using USB creator. So
when you use USB creator from an ISO image or CD to make a bootable
USB stick you're essentially coping the live environment into the USB
stick. Once done you then have a bootable USB stick you can install
_from_.

If you _install_ _onto_ a USB stick then you lose the ability to
install from there, because you're no longer running a live
environment on the USB stick, but a fully installed one, just as if
you'd installed on a hard disk in a computer. Albeit a very small hard
disk that is highly portable.

> To create my live USB, I used the live USB creator with persistent storage.
> I disable the auto login, create my user account with sudo privileges.
> I store my home data on a different partition that is encrypted with
> truecrypt. And before login I open a terminal window mount the truecrypt
> container as my home and then login.

I created my 32GB USB stick by booting to Ubuntu off a CD. Then
installed to the USB stick and used the standard encryption option in
the installer.

> I have tried to create a user with encrypted home but that didn't seem to
> work.

It works if you use the installer and not USB disk creator.

Cheers,
Al.