[ubuntu-uk] Using Gparted

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue May 18 20:58:59 BST 2010

On 18/05/10 19:16, alan c wrote:
> On 18/05/10 18:50, Rowan Berkeley wrote:

> If you want to work on your main  (system) partition then it must not
> be running that is not mounted,  that is, use a live CD or live usb
> with gparted such as parted magic.

Actually I've found an Ubuntu Live CD works just as well, it's on the CD
ready to run.  I used it the other day to resize a Windows XP partition
(NTFS).

I'm mulling over trying it on a server at work too (Windows Server 2003)
although being a production server I'm erring on the side of caution at
the moment and hanging fire until I have a spare machine to do some
tests on first.

It's a great app though, as Alan mentions though, be careful, it is all
too easy to delete the wrong partition if you've not used it before (or
even if you have used it before).  Luckily it doesn't run through every
process immediately so if you change your mind as long as you don't tell
it to apply the changes then you can cancel it (and even when you apply
the changes it runs through a test run first which gives you a few
seconds to hit cancel, at least it did on the machine I used yesterday).

Rob