[ubuntu-uk] Encrypt whole disk or just home dir?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu May 13 01:14:55 BST 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 11:11 PM, Tony Arnold
<tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> I'm seeking advice and wisdom!
>
> My laptop is currently fully encrypted. It has a partition that contains
> a crypt that contains some logical volumes that contain all file systems
> except /boot
>
> It occurs to me I might be better off just encrypting my home directory.
>
> I think this might improve performance as the system would not have to
> decrypt the operating system files. Not sure how big an impact this
> would have.
>
> Presumably I would no longer get prompted for a pass phrase every time I
> switch the machine on. Very secure, but annoying!
>
> Am I right in thinking that the home dir encryption effectively uses my
> password to protect it, or would I have to enter my password and an
> encryption pass phrase every time I log on?
>
> Any thoughts?

Your understanding seems right to me, and TBH, an encrypted /home or
just your own folder would be enough for me, personally. Actually I
don't do it - I'm not that paranoid - but yes, I expect it'd be
faster.

To get there from here means a complete backup & reinstall, though, I think...

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508