[ubuntu-uk] When buying a new pc...

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed May 12 22:28:32 BST 2010

On 12/05/10 22:03, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 03:10:37PM +0100, Markie wrote:
>> Lets say your want to buy a new PC and keep the bundled windows etc on
>> there, but you wish to install Ubuntu into a new partition / disc. If you
>> cant find anyone whos used your PC with Ubuntu before and you dont find it
>> listed here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport, then would you / could
>> you go to the store with your live CD and try it out to make sure your not
>
> I'm sure you could do this and as other posters have said, if they
> know the sale is at stake then I'm confident they'd let you boot the
> live cd.
>
> However it all sounds like a massive hassle and personally I would
> buy the computer online using a credit card making sure the store
> was aware it was for Ubuntu. If it turns out not to work under
> Ubuntu in some unfixable way then Sale of Goods Act allows you to
> send it back as not fit for purpose, and credit agreement allows you
> to charge it back with minimal hassle if mention of SoGA doesn't
> produce the correct response immediately.

Hmmm, how can you make the online store know that you're using it for
Ubuntu?

I guess in say the case of eBuyer.com you could send an eNote, but they
might turn round and say that they can't guarantee compatibility (at
least that was the case back in 2003 when I worked at eBuyer, I was told
not to give specific confirmations if something would or wouldn't work).

Rob