[ubuntu-uk] 64 bit lucid install

ian pettitt ian.pettitt at bbsrc.ac.uk
Mon May 10 16:22:06 BST 2010

> On 26 April 2010 15:08, Markie<mark.curtis.1970 at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> [snip]
>> You can backup and re-instate your previous apps via command line;
>>
>> To backup
>>
>> Code:
>>
>> sudo dpkg –get-selections>  myPackages

[snip]

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips for moving to 64bit. In the end
I upgraded my RAM to 6gb, installed 10.04 x64 on to a separate partition
(the xp partition I haven't dual booted into for a year) and mounted my
home partition to /home.

I then reinstalled the main software packages I use, using the notes I
have kept from all the previous Ubuntu installs I have done, a good
habit left over from my introduction to linux as part of my University
course - once you have setup slackware and recompiled the kernel, having
notes on how you did it is quite useful.

I then reconfigured the packages from my 9.04 using my notes, and where
I needed to I still could access the old files from my 9.04 install on
the existing partition.

I converted my other XP machine to a vm using the instructions on the
VirtualBox website (http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows),
using dd to copy the disk to a file and converting it to a virtualbox
disk with vboxconvert.

I now have a very nice system indeed.

Thanks for the help

Ian