[ubuntu-uk] web hosting recommendation

ian pettitt (RRes-BB) ian.pettitt at bbsrc.ac.uk
Sun May 9 17:26:09 BST 2010

On 9 May 2010, at 15:48, "Kris Douglas" <krisdouglas at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9 May 2010 15:41, Alan Lord (News) <alanslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 09/05/10 14:45, ian pettitt (RRes-BB) wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> My webhosting company has let me down again, the mysql server is
>>> down for the second time in fortnight and they don't seem to do
>>> any support outside of office hours.  Therefore I am looking to
>>> move hosts.
>>>
>>> I don't need a very advanced package, just apache/mysql/php, email
>>> so I don't want to pay for (or need) a VPS. Does anyone have any
>>> good recommendations?
>>
>> I really don't like shared hosting services for much at all. It is
>> far
>> too easy for your service to be interrupted by activities that are
>> outside of your control...
>>
>> I have heard good things about bitfolk and for just £8/m you can h
>> ave a
>> VPS which you will have total control over.
>
> True, but a well shared hosting package comes with support you may not
> get with a VPS, and usually you get tools like cPanel with shared
> hosting, which isn't often had on VPS...
>
> --
> Kris Douglas,
>
>   NODE Computer Systems
>   Web Hosting & Design, Server Administration, Technical Support &
> Computer Construction
>
>   T. 01200438449
>   M. 07728574285

I would prefer a hosting package as setting up and maintaining a vps
is more time consuming than I can afford, just to host some wordpress/
joomla type sites. However it something I may consider in a year or so
if I am able to get a few more clients, as it would be more economic
than several seperate hosting packages

Thanks

Ian