[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu on old box ....

NTLWorld b.drake at ntlworld.com
Sun May 9 08:06:18 BST 2010

Hi there ....

A while back, I gave an old Pentium iii running Windows 98 to a single
mum who is looking for work and needed a PC.  She now needs internet
access and Windows 98 is a problem.  Ubuntu is the obvious answer, so I
took a selection of live CD's and an mobile broadband dongle to see what
I could do.  Anything > 8.04 fails to boot and 8.4 does not support
mobile broadband as-is.  I have an identical HP Pentium iii back here so
I had a play last night.  Remarkably, using a much more up-to-date PC
with a totally different spec. to install Lucid (I used Netbook Remix
for speed) on a spare 8 Gig drive gave me a drive that booted and works
OK in the old box.

Anyone know what happened between 8.04 and 8.10 that kills the live CD
on old hardware?

Regards, 	Barry.

--
Barry Drake <b.drake at ntlworld.com>