[ubuntu-uk] Running .exe's off a CD?

Luke-Jennings ubuntujenkins at googlemail.com
Thu May 6 16:49:14 BST 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 21:30 +0100, Liam Wilson wrote:
> Hey everyone,
> I just bought a couple of windows games on CD, and I installed wine
> and such, but I can't actually execute them.
> On double clicking them, I get the message:
>

> "The file '/media/RCT2/Setup.exe' is not marked as executable.  If
> this was downloaded or copied form an untrusted source, it may be
> dangerous to run.  For more details, read about the executable bit."
>

> Thing is, I can't mark it as executable, as it's on a CD, so now, 2
> things:
>

> 1) Why am I being blocked from running .exe's on my computer?
> 2) How do I work around this?

The problem occurs with how the cd is being mounted you need to mount
the disk using the iso9660 file system type.
first make a directory in /media folder
mkdir /media/RCT2
mount -t iso9660 /dev/<yourcddrive> /media/RCT2

inserting <yourdive> with the name of your drive mine is sr0 .

Then you should be able to run the .exe . I am not sure why the disk is
being mounted in the wrong file system. I have had this problem my self.

> Thanks greatly in advance:
> Liam :)

hopefully that works.

Luke Jennings (ubuntujenkins)