[ubuntu-uk] Final Upgrade to Lucid, not worked completely

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed May 5 11:54:41 BST 2010

On 5 May 2010 11:43, John Matthews <jakewc2 at sky.com> wrote:
> What else can I explain. I explained in my first e-mail that I did the final
> upgrade to Lucid from the last release. It didnt finish.

It didn't finish in that it crashed out?
Did you use update manager or do-release-upgrade to perform the upgrade?

> I also explained
> that Wine was the reason the upgrade failed.

It probably isn't the reason it failed, a symptom of the failure might
have been a broken wine package, sure, but there's probably some other
reason for the upgrade stopping.

> In the grub it shows about 10
> different kernels.

This is normal, once upgraded properly these can be cleaned up.

> which I did, and explained that it did nothing. I posted about what came up
> when I did that. But it looks like for second say it wont show, because I
> only keep it going on pastebin for 24 hours. I'll post it again. for the
> third time.
>
> http://pastebin.ubuntu-uk.org/63968

Ok, this doesn't deal with the underlying issue that your system is
probably half-upgraded.

> When I did it, I had problems with ubuntu loading. It still is causing a few
> problems, but I tried to do an update via recovery in the grub. It kind
> works a little better, but there something still wrong.

Can you get to a recovery mode kernel? In the grub menu choose the
second kernel down, which should bring you to a menu in which you can
choose to open a root prompt.

Cheers,
Al.