[ubuntu-uk] CFLAGS Manipulation in Ubuntu

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Tue May 4 14:24:00 BST 2010

On 04/05/10 14:05, Stuart Bird wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Does anyone know how I can check the "CFLAGS" settings in Ubuntu (10.4
> x64). I have a need to run an application that depends on these settings
> to optimise speed but have found that Ubuntu has no "make.conf" file
> which is where I would normally expect to find/tweak these settings.

CFLAGS is an environment variable that is fed to the [gcc] compiler at
build time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFLAGS. It isn't really a
"setting" as such. And if you want to change it you will need to
recompile whatever the app or library is that needs it to be different.

I'm not sure what the Ubuntu packagers use normally, nor if you can read
how it was set after a binary has been compiled, but the CFLAGS var
*can* be different for each and every package built.

HTH

Al

--
The Open Learning Centre