[ubuntu-uk] Dell Inspiron 1750 Problems

Kris Douglas krisdouglas at gmail.com
Tue May 4 00:46:14 BST 2010

On 4 May 2010 00:24, Nigel Verity <nigelverity at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> i have just bought a Dell Inspiron 1750 laptop, and installed Xubuntu on it. I have 2 problems:
>
> 1) I cannot get it to detect any wi-fi network connection. It has a Broadcom 4312 wi-fi adaptor.
>
> 2) I can find no way of disabling the intensely annoying touchpad. There is no option in the BIOS config,
> and even its original Windows 7 control panel had no option, either. Does anybody know where the
> Linux driver might be located, so I can disable it?
>
> Any suggestions on either point would be very much appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Nige

The trackpads on those laptops are hated by many, many people. Simple
fix to kill the thing though:

"synclient TouchpadOff=1"  to turn it offf, and "synclient
TouchpadOff=0" to turn it on. These are command line arguments, and
last time I checked you didn't need to be root.

As for the wifi, are there any restricted drivers available to
download on your machine (check in System>Administration>Hardware
Drivers menu), you may need to connect to the internet for this to
work, use a LAN cable. But You might be OK without.

try plugging a network cable in and running "sudo apt-get update" and
then "sudo apt-get install bcmwl_kernel_source", it should fix it.

Hope that helped.

--
Kris Douglas,

  NODE Computer Systems
  Web Hosting & Design, Server Administration, Technical Support &
Computer Construction

  T. 01200438449
  M. 07728574285