[ubuntu-uk] Cannot boot after upgrade to Lucid

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Mon May 3 21:13:47 BST 2010

On 3 May 2010 at 20:25, Matthew Daubney wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 19:13 +0100, Tony Pursell wrote:

> > > Hello,
> > > That error is related to your graphics card. What gfx card and what RAM
> > > do you have?
> > >
> > > Here's the error in the drivers code
> > >
> > > if (rdev->family == CHIP_RS400 || rdev->family == CHIP_RS480) {
> > >                 /* FIXME: RS400 & RS480 seems to have issue with GART size
> > >                  * if 4G of system memory (needs more testing) */
> > >                 rdev->mc.gtt_size = 32 * 1024 * 1024;
> > >                 DRM_ERROR("Forcing to 32M GART size (because of ASIC bug ?)\n");
> > >         }
> > >
> > > Can you let us know what hardware your system has and we can look a bit further.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > -Matt Daubney
> > >

> > Matt: Graphics is ATI Radeon Xpress 200 onboard which uses some
> > of the system RAM.  The PC itself is an HP Pavilion t3510.uk desktop
> > with an HPvs17x flatscreen monitor and 1GB Ram.
> >
> > John: The kernel is whatever kernel Lucid installs (I can confirm it, if
> > you want but shutting XP & rebooting takes an age)
> >
> > Matt: Note booting in Recovery mode and with old kernel also fails.
> >
> > Tony
> >
> The other question is, what partitions do you keep on the software raid?
> ureadahead doesn't like /var having it's own partition apparently.

I have *no* software raid that I know of!  Yes /var does have its own
partition.

I can boot off the USB stick with Lucid 10.04 LTS on it, but I did not
install from it.  This was a distribution upgrade using Update Manager.

The kernels shown by GRUB are

2.6.32.21
2.6.31.21
2.6.27.11

I can't boot from the first two.  The last one boots to a log in prompt,
then freezes, but gives me a console session on tty1.  It also boots in
recovery mode.

Tony