[ubuntu-uk] Question on fsck

Markie mark.curtis.1970 at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 30 13:32:22 BST 2010

Hi All,

This is also posted on ubuntuforums, I wonder if someone on this mailing
list might also be able to give me some information as this has worried me
slightly

*I booted my regular machine today and it failed to boot complaining it was
unable to mount the disc and threw me out to a root prompt. So I tried
booting into the failsafe kernel and it gave me some more detailed messages
from fsck.

Basically what I could deduce from the errors was that a file I had ftp-ed
onto the machine yesterday was pointing to the same disc block as one of the
gdm log files.

Fortunately I have a external USB with ubuntu installed so after making a
note of which files were clashing, I booted from that and mounted the drive.
I deleted one of the files (not the gdm log) and then unmounted to drive and
run fsck against it choosing the "y" when prompted to fix. Now I can boot
the machine normally off the internal hard drive.

I have some questions on this;

1. How could two files ever point to one disc block?
2. If I faced this error where would boot time fsck errors be written to?
3. Which logs would show any errors such as this so I could check before
finding out on next boot I had a problem?*