[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu UK Science Museum Visit - WiFi Available!

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed Mar 24 14:08:41 GMT 2010

On 24 March 2010 13:55, Joseph O'Dell <09jodell at samwhit.org.uk> wrote:
> Alan - I can understand, but i'm sure there is going to be something that
> makes us go "I wish we'd bought laptops", so it's just a safe guard!

Sure, I just have experience of attending a fair few events. At 'geek'
events where computers are intended to be used such as install-fests
or Bug Jams it's common to see people with their heads-down not
talking to each other because they're on IRC/IM/twitter on their
laptop. Indeed at many geek fests people sit _next_ to eachother and
talk on IRC rather than talk in real life. It's quite sad.

At social gatherings - such as this - it makes less sense to provision
such facilities because it stops people talking to each other. Part of
the whole idea behind social gatherings is to get to know each other
and socially interact.

Just my 2p.

Cheers,
Al.