[ubuntu-uk] Remote support using VNC over SSH (via another SSH server)

Jon Spriggs jon at spriggs.org.uk
Fri Mar 19 14:12:33 GMT 2010

Create a file (one on each end) called ~/.ssh/config as follows

# Remote machine
Host support
    HostName central.server.address
    IdentityFile ~/.ssh/private_key
    User username
    RemoteForward 12345 localhost:5900

# Your machine
Host support
    HostName central.server.address
    IdentityFile ~/.ssh/private_key
    User username
    LocalForward 5901 localhost:12345

The icon on her machine should perform ssh support. You can ssh
support as well. You would then VNC to localhost:5901.

This is mostly from memory, although I've checked a couple of my
config files - and I'm not using remoteforward anywhere, so the syntax
may be *slightly* wrong. If it's not right, swap the port numbers.
Also, if it's a shared box, don't use port 12345, as someone else
might be using it.

Just as a word of warning, I've found some issues when using desktop
effects with the built-in VNC server, so unless you need them to sell
the OS, turn them off.
--
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs LPIC-1 Certified