[ubuntu-uk] ubuntu 9.04 + gnome screen error

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 04:56:21 GMT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Paul Sutton <zleap at zleap.net> wrote:

> http://imagebin.org/89424
>
> just got the above, come up,  not sure what triggered it, but I can't
> click on desktop,  i can click menus and load programs
>
> i can't change the background using preferences
> can't even click, its just a white space.
>
> just wondered if anyone has come across this sort of thing.
>
> Paul
>
> - --
> Paul Sutton
> www.zleap.net

I've seen something a bit like that on a couple of systems. It was due
to problems with Compiz.

One 1 machine, it was due to me disabling DRI in the X server while
leaving Compiz enabled. It requires DRI & couldn't display a usable
desktop without it.

On the other, it was due to relying on an only-partially-supported
graphics chipset & enabling all the visual "chrome" in Appearance. The
graphics couldn't support all the features and I got a blank desktop.

In both cases, I had to flip to an alternate V-console (Ctrl+Alt+F1 -
thru' - F6) and fix it from the command line.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508