[ubuntu-uk] Init Script fun

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Jun 29 20:08:51 BST 2010

Hi folks,

Further to my post a couple of days ago about Shoutcast and streaming
radio, I've decided to bite the bullet and go for Icecast, mainly
because it appears to be better supported on Ubuntu 64-bit.

Now I've got Icecast running, I can run multiple Icecast sessions
(there's about 6 in total) from the command line without any problems,
my problem occurs when I try and run them from init.d

Basically what I have done is made copies of the icecast2 files in
/etc/init.d and /etc/default.  There are now 6 copies of the files with
slight changes for each individual stream it's supposed to be running.

I've also created individual users and groups for the different streams,
so they're not all running as root.  As part of the configuration, I've
setup Icecast to run under the separate users in chroot jails.

Now running one of these streams is fine, it starts fine and goes into
the background.  If I run a second stream (basically start the next
init.d script) it will start to run the script but then come up with an
error about it already running.

I've tried making copies of the icecast2 binary so each stream has it's
own binary (copied, not linked, each binary is identical).

Now I'm a bit stuck.  I can only assume that somehow start-stop-daemon
is detecting that icecast2 is running (despite the fact that each
icecast binary runs with a different process name).  I did wonder if it
creates some sort of pid file (I did a quick search but couldn't find
anything in /var/run).

A copy of the modified /etc/init.d/icecast2 can be found here:
http://pastebin.com/z5WQxi34

...and the modified /etc/defaults/icecast2 file can be found here:

http://pastebin.com/WkgvwH6b

As mentioned above, basically I made slight changes to these files for
the individual streams.

Anyway, if anyone could shed any light on it that would be great.  I
have a feeling it's related to start-stop-daemon but I could be
completely wrong.  My experience of init.d files is limited at best. :-)

Ta,

Rob