[ubuntu-uk] The IT Crowd

Lucy lucybridges at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 13:29:01 BST 2010

On 29 June 2010 11:29, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> On 29 June 2010 11:22, pmgazz <pmgazz at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>> Well, it's not nearly as good as The Big Bang Theory but I do enjoy The IT
>> Crowd. Bit silly but when was a Brit sitcom not silly?
>>

> I have a female friend who doesn't appreciate BBT having only one
> female lead character who is portrayed as ditzy and clueless. I
> suspect that marrs her enjoyment of the show.

I felt like that initially too. However, I keep going back to the BBT
because any sexism it has is a reflection of our society and its
accuracy in this and with its characters makes it compelling (and
hilarious) viewing. I can recognise elements of each character in so
many geeks I've met and find myself relating to it more than is
healthy. That said, I do wish there were more geeky women in the
series, but perhaps we need to get them in real life first.