[ubuntu-uk] Vista, XP, Lucid

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 12:25:07 BST 2010

On 19 June 2010 20:48, Dave Smith <dave at p3computers.com> wrote:

> Trying to figure out what went wrong with an Ubuntu install.
>
> Prior to install
>
> XP on SATA0 160GB
> Storage (NTFS) on SATA1, 2x 80GB partitions (how it's been for years)
> Vista on PATA0 40GB with boot loader
>
> Then installed 80GB on SATA2 to install ubuntu.  Did install, installed
> GRUB to this new HD and GRUB points to Ubuntu and Vista.  When I choose
> Vista to pass on to that boot-loader, I can launch Vista but not launch "an
> earlier version of Windows" ie XP, it just restarts.
>
> If I interrupt the boot sequence and point it directly at Vista, I can boot
> "an earlier version of windows" XP.
>
> How can  fix it so I go GRUB --> Vista Boot Loader --> XP??

There's a GUI called EasyBCD[1] which will help you edit the Windows boot
loader. It's likely that something is looking in the wrong place but that
should allow you to fix it.

My personal preference would be to go with one or the other though, as you
should be able to boot Ubuntu from BCD or Windows from grub.

1. http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

s/
--
Save BBC 6 Music http://www.love6music.com