[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu in Business - London, July 13th

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 21:37:17 BST 2010

On 16/06/10 21:24, Paul Sutton wrote:

>> The Ubuntu UK community and Canonical, the commercial sponsors of
>> Ubuntu, would like to invite you to a very different type of IT event.
>> The Ubuntu operating system for the desktop and server has made
>> significant inroads into UK businesses over the last 5 years. Often it
>> is driven there by the enthusiasm of individuals from the community who
>> use Ubuntu for their personal computing and see the advantages it can
>> bring to the workplace. This event gives those advocates an opportunity
>> to introduce their colleagues to Ubuntu, Canonical, Partners, community
>> experts and their fellow IT professionals. Attendees will learn how
>> Ubuntu is being deployed in the UK and discover how they can introduce
>> or extend this technology safely and effectively within their organisation.
>>
>> All are welcome, but if you already count yourself as an Ubuntu user,
>> please drag along a colleague who has yet to see the light!
>

> What is the chance of being able to do something like this in Paignton,
> perhaps at the lighthouse where the linux user group are going to be
> holding meetings soon.
>
> the lighthouse has PA systems, stages,  etc, should have internet access
> shortly,  and should have food available, it is also a non alcohol venue
> as its primerally a music venue for young people,

Depends how big it is, not sure if the Lighthouse would realistically
have enough room considering it's layout.  I'd have thought Westpoint in
Exeter (where Business South West is held) would be a better venue.

There is also the question of how easy is it for folks to get down to
Paignton.  London has pretty good road/rail links etc and I dare say
there would be a fair few people in or near to London who could possibly
pop along to have a look.

I'd be interested in going along to this event but I doubt I'd be able
to get the time off work.

Rob