[ubuntu-uk] Dell UK now offers netbooks and laptops ...

Matthew Bassett hewbass at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 09:58:09 BST 2010

On 16 June 2010 09:47, Bruno Girin <brunogirin at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...] the  only ones I manage to configure with Ubuntu are the Latitude
>  2100 and  2110 but they only come with 9.10, not 10.04. [...]
>
> That doesn't sound very committed to Ubuntu to me.
>
> Shame because I would be on the market for a top of the range Vostro
> 3300 if the specs that say it comes with Ubuntu were actually true. It's
> doubly frustrating because Dell seem to be one of the few vendors who
> have a 13" laptop with decent specs (the other one I know of being Sony
> but I have no hope in hell of running Ubuntu on a Sony, let alone
> getting it Windows free).

Try the Latitiude V13; I searched for Ubuntu, starting at the
http://www.dell.co.uk page, and this was one of the hits. If you ask
to personalise the cheapest version, it is offered with Ubuntu 09.10
(I seem to remember). Not as cheap as a mini, but it looks pretty
slick...

The wierd thing is depending on which web page you start at (for
instance starting with http://www.dell.co.uk/ubuntu) seems to get you
different search results (searching from the aforementioned
http://www.dell.co.uk/ubuntu did not lead me to any ubuntu machines at
all).

It appears that Dell UK are actually aiming their Ubuntu offerings at
businesses rather than individuals.

Might have to have a chat with the wife about whether I can be allowed
to buy a Latitude rather than one of the cheaper netbooks (and it will
surely be much more expensive if I can't resist the lure of a faster
CPU, more memory and an SSD drive...)