[ubuntu-uk] Dell says Ubuntu safer than Windows

Barry Drake bdrake at crosswire.org
Tue Jun 15 12:54:48 BST 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 10:04 +0100, Gordon Allott wrote:
> > But not in the UK apparently :(
> There is a reason for that! right now dell are only selling the mini 10
> netbook which is a terrible terrible machine that won't work well on
> ubuntu

I bought my mini 10v around a month ago.  It's a fantastic machine, and
it's running Lucid with no problems at all.  The only closed-source
driver required is the Broadcom STA wireless driver - and there doesn't
seem to be a problem with that on the latest (or any other) kernel
AFAIK.

The reason Dell UK gave me for withdrawing just about all of the Linux
range was that 'there is no call for them'. I'm currently in
correspondence with Dell UK about this.  I placed a copy of my last
e-mail to them on this list, and so far have the reply as follows:
"Regarding your proposal for the Dell systems (without the Microsoft
Operating Systems) made available for the UK - Ubuntu users, and other
suggestions, I would be referring the issue to the appropriate team and
will contact you with the information. " (from Raj_Mohan at Dell.com).

I will post any further reply to this list.
Barry Drake.
--
Sent from my Dell Netbook using Ubuntu - the Windows-free environment
that gives me real fresh air.