[ubuntu-uk] DLNA Server and media recommendations

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 09:34:42 BST 2010

Hi All,

I just got a new telly - A Samsung LC40C650 that, amongst other things,
has a DLNA client :-)

I've installed Mediatomb from the repo on my home server (Ubuntu server
8.10) and after a little hacking of the config file it now works. I can
watch most home videos, pictures and play music/podcasts etc :-)

I'm not sure totally about Mediatomb though. It hasn't seemed to pick up
the metadata in MP3 files for example and I am not particularly happy
with the way it has organised my stuff.

So, Being a complete N00b in this arena I'm after some experienced
people's advice.

Stuff like:

* What server app do you use and why?
* Best way to organise and catalogue stuff?
* Transcoding advice?

Good linkies to educational materials.

TIA

Al