[ubuntu-uk] Home brew for WiFi network routers

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Thu Jun 10 13:33:33 BST 2010

On 10/06/10 11:46, Cornelius Mostert wrote:
> Hi
> I know about tomato and one or two others but was wondering:
> 1. I did not buy the hard ware as yet so this should not be a problem.
> 2. I would like to connect 2 or more WiFi routers together WIRELESSLY
> 3. I do not need the routers to be on different subnets BUT might have 1
> or 2 on different subnets
> 4. What home brew do you consider to be the best for replacing firmware
> on the WiFi routers

If it's just a case of connecting two wireless routers together (for
instance to link two areas in a building wirelessly because sticking
cables in isn't an option) then you can possibly get away with something
like this (although I believe it won't run anything like DD-WRT/Tomato etc):

http://tinyurl.com/2f7sjwt

As far as home brew router software goes, I personally like DD-WRT, it's
got a nice easy to use clean interface and workes well on my two Linksys
devices (a WRT54G and a single ethernet port wireless access point).
I've also tried OpenWRT which also worked pretty well.  I did try Tomato
but didn't get on with it, but that's not to say you won't though, I
think it was just a case of I was looking for a quick easy solution.

Rob